Saturday, October 10, 2009

So What's The Plan!




We all have plans, for our business, our home, our marriage, our children, our life. But the secret to the success of the plan is sticking to it. Now I'm not saying that you can't change your mind when you realize that one plan isn't working so you opt to go to plan b but what I am talking about is the creative mind needing to be reined in and put on focus. Creative minds love to create and that includes new and exciting ideas for our life, our businesses. But as interesting and exciting as these new ideas may be they are keeping us (some times) from sticking to the plan.

I have proof that my personality has a problem sticking to the plans. "The Path, Creating Your Mission Statement For Work And For Life" By Laurie Beth Jones (1998) has an exercise in the book that asks you to close your eyes and picture if you were an object what would that be? Me.... I saw a compass with a magnet real close to it. You know what happens to the arrow when it's close to the magnet, the arrow can't stay pointed in one spot. That object I envisioned was spot on for me. So then she asks what would you like the object to be and I want to be the arrow pointed in one direction. Now I keep the image of that arrow in the forefront of my mind to help me stay focused on my plan, sometimes it works then other times my creative mind wins.

I believe creative minds have problems staying focused. We love to create, whether it's a piece of decorative soap, collages, art, screenplays, jewelry, store displays, fancy dinners, a beautiful home or even drama in our lives, we love to create and are always looking to do that. So when the impulse to create comes up that urge in me is so strong that the plan goes out the window. Until I realize that I got off track.

Creative minds see a problem (mine, lack of enough funds) and then create a possible solution to that. I did that this past weekend. I signed up for a flea market to sell my soaps. This is not in my plan for my business. It might of been 10 years ago but today it's not in my plan. But I did it anyway. Did diverting from my plan work out? Did I make money? Did I have fun? Was I happy with my decision? The answer to all 5 questions was no. I was signed up for Saturday and Sunday and on Saturday it dawned on me that the flea market was never in my plan so I didn't return back on Sunday. What I realized what happened is that all used energy, time and money for the flea market took me away from working on my plan to grow my business.

The plans for my business:

  • To learn all there is in becoming an on-line presence for both my retail and wholesale web sites and through that media the company becomes profitable.
  • To grow the business so it can afford to give me a comfortable salary which will allow me to do the things I love to do.
  • The business will continue to satisfy my craving for creating as soap making does.
What my plan does not include is;
  • Craft Fairs
  • Flea Markets
  • Trade Shows
  • Home Parties
  • Direct Mail

  • Peddling in the streets (just kidding)

My point in this is.....if I don't focus on the plan I get easily distracted and drawn into other things that aren't moving me and my business forward. Like the flea market. Fears well up money isn't coming in and I think I've got to do something. I don't think" lets keep working on the site and getting us known on the web", no I think flea market. Cost $10 for the booth it can't hurt. The cost was way more than $10 considering all things.

How do I keep that focus. Well I'm printing a picture of an arrow that I can put on my bathroom mirror, my refrigerator,use as bookmark and anywhere else I can think of to help me reign in my creative mind. Focus minds are successful and that's my goal so I'll keep you up to date on my progress.

No comments: